These fudgy, soft and satisfying little treats are literally the best chocolate banana muffins you will ever eat! Bonus? This is an einkorn flour recipe that is simple and easy to follow!
What is einkorn flour?
Why in the world would I be using einkorn flour? So glad you asked! Several years ago I took a food sensitivity test to try and discover why I was suddenly having digestive problems after a surgery and round of potent antibiotics. I knew that taking medications could change my gut flora, but I was shocked that I had developed and intolerance to gluten!
Since never eating bread again was NOT an option, I had to figure out ways around my sensitivity.
One of the first things I founds was to substitute all purpose flour with triticum monococcum, aka Einkorn. Einkorn, which means ‘One Grain’ in German, is a type of wheat that was first cultivated more than 10,000 years ago. It is the only variety of wheat that has not been crossed with other species.
It contains more vitamins and minerals and less gluten than modern wheat flour, and its sweet flavor and silky texture make it an easy substitute for traditional wheat flour. This is what makes this the best chocolate banana muffins with einkorn flour recipe!
CAN EINKORN BE USED AS A FLOUR SUBSTITUTION?
As an amazon associate, this post contains affiliate links, which means I make a small commission at no extra cost to you. See my full disclosure here.
Honestly, it can be tricky to get einkorn figured out at first. While it is advertised as a 1:1 substitution, I strongly recommend finding recipes from trusted sources and learning from the tips they recommend.
Using Jovial All-Purpose einkorn flour has yielded the best results of all the brands I’ve tried so far. The flour truly is a light and airy type, with a softness most brands can’t seem to achieve. I purchased a variety of Jovial products during a sale last year and cannot stop baking with it! The pasta is delicious and the flour is truly a 1:1 substitute for standard flour.
WHY THIS RECIPE WORKS
These satisfying little banana chocolate muffins are incredibly addictive! These are mildly sweet, depending on the ripeness of the bananas, and full of whole grains. My kids love having a bag of these muffins in the freezer for quick breakfasts! Another favorite in our kitchen are my regular Best Banana Muffins with Einkorn Flour. It's the same recipe, but without the cocoa and chocolate chips.
HELPFUL EQUIPMENT FOR MAKING MUFFINS
If you make this recipe, please leave a comment below! This provides helpful feedback to both me and other readers. For more delicious recipes from scratch and homesteading tips, follow me on instagram @NinnescahHomestead
Best Chocolate Banana Muffin Recipe
- 12-cup muffin tin
- Mixing bowl
- optional: parchment muffin liners
- 1 egg room temperature
- 1 ⅓ cup mashed ripe bananas
- 1 cup all-purpose flour einkorn or traditional wheat flour
- ½ cup cocoa or cacao powder
- 1 cup oats steel cut or quick
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ cup organic cane sugar
- ½ cup organic brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt heaping
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly grease a 12-cup muffin pan or line them with parchment liners.
- In a large bowl, combine egg, banana, brown sugar, cane sugar, and vanilla. In a separate bowl, stir together flour, oats, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
- Gently add the flour mixture and chocolate chips to the banana mixture. Do not overmix! It's totally fine for a little flour to still be visible. Pour into prepared muffin tin.
- Bake for fifteen to twenty minutes or until a toothpick inserted to the center of a muffin comes out clean. Remove muffins from the pan and allow them to fully cool on a cooling rack.
- Store muffins in an airtight container at room temperature for up to three days. Muffins can be frozen up to three months.