Is there any better way to start the day than with light and fluffy pancakes? I can’t think of one! Imagine this: a dozen fresh and warm gluten free pancakes in under thirty minutes! Go ahead and give yourself a pinch, this is real!
As an amazon associate, this post contains affiliate links, which means I make a small commission at no extra cost to you. See my full disclosure here.
WHY THIS RECIPE WORKS
When the most important meal of the day rolls around, sometimes things are a little chaotic at our house. My kids are 6, 10, & 12 and there are mornings when I feel like I’m just tossing food in their mouths like baby seals as they bounce around trying to make it out the door on time!
Breakfasts that are fast and healthy-ish are pretty much my life right now. Hence, these mini GF pancakes! I can make them in less than twenty minutes or keep them in the freezer to toast or microwave when things are super busy.
I designed this recipe to be naturally gluten free due to my family’s dietary restrictions. All-Purpose flour can be used in place of the GF flour at a 1:1 ratio if eating gluten-free isn’t a concern. I’ve made this recipe many times with traditional flour, and it is really good.
My favorite brands of gluten free flour a re Bobs 1:1 GF Flour and KING ARTHUR GLUTEN FREE FLOUR. Both of these options truly do give me an even substitution for All-Purpose wheat flour. If you are making this recipe with a different flour, make sure to include xanthum gum. This ingredient will help the ingredients to fully combine and create a more pleasing texture.
HELPFUL KITCHEN TOOLS
While it isn’t entirely necessary to have these tools, I do think it makes my life a little bit easier.
- WHISK These pancakes could also be made in a stand mixer with whisk attachment, but a whisk and BATTER BOWL is what I typically use. It’s just such a quick recipe and requires such little stirring that I don’t typically feel like getting my mixer dirty over it.
- CAST IRON SKILLET or GRIDDLE Several years ago I transitioned from cooking with nonstick pans to cooking exclusively on cast iron. There was a bit of a learning curve, but I will never go back. Cast iron is naturally nonstick and cooks evenly. I also appreciate that it isn’t leaching harmful chemicals, like teflon, into our food. To learn how to care for cast iron, check out my post 30-Minute Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Cast-Iron Skillet.
- 1 ½” SCOOP The medallion size of these pancakes is what makes them so appealing to children. I like that the smaller size is easier to flip and they cook faster, too! If you don’t have a scoop, just use a measuring cup or spoon and try to eyeball the sizes to get consistent pancakes as best as possible. This is the same scoop I use to make my Bourbon Dark Chocolate Cookies.
RECIPE FOR THE TASTIEST GLUTEN FREE MINI PANCAKES
YOU WILL NEED || THE INGREDIENTS
- 3 TABLESPOONS BROWN SUGAR
- 1 CUP GLUTEN-FREE FLOUR
- 1 SCANT CUP WHOLE MILK
- 1 EGG
- 3 TABLESPOONS MELTED BUTTER
- 1 TEASPOON VANILLA EXTRACT
- 3 HEAPING TEASPOONS BAKING POWDER
HOW TO MAKE MINI gluten free PANCAKES
WHISK together the brown sugar, gluten-free flour and baking powder in a medium bowl and set aside.
COMBINE the melted butter, egg, vanilla extract and milk in a mixing bowl. Whisk and slowly combine the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Once it is whisked together, the mixture will quickly puff up and raise.
HEAT extra butter in a cast iron skillet or griddle or use cooking spray to grease the skillet.
FRY 3-4 pancakes at a time. I recommend using a one and a half inch scoop to get a more consistent medallion pancake size.
SERVING SUGGESTION Once the pancakes are ready, stack them up and add whipped cream on top. Add fresh fruit, sprinkles or chocolate chips to make the pancakes even more special!
If you make this recipe, please leave a comment below! This provides helpful feedback to both me and other readers. For more delicious recipes from scratch and homesteading tips, follow me on instagram @NinnescahHomestead
Tastiest Gluten Free Mini Pancakes
- 1 ½ inch scoop
- batter bowl
- cast iron skillet or griddle
- measuring cups and spoons
- 1 Cup gluten-free flour
- 3 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 Teaspoons baking powder heaping
- 1 Cup whole milk scant cup
- 3 Tablespoons melted butter
- 1 egg
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla extract
- Whisk together the brown sugar, gluten-free flour and baking powder in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Combine the melted butterm, egg, vanilla extract and milk in a mixing bowl. Slowly pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk until just combined. The mixture will quickly puff up and raise.
- Heat the cast iron skillet or griddle on medium heat. Once it is preheated, add a tablespoon of butter or use cooking spray to grease the pan.
- Use a one and a half inch scoop to make medallion-sized mini pancakes. Fry about 3-4 pancakes at a time, or as many as your griddle will allow. Once the edges begin to look matte and tiny bubbles form in the center of the pancake, it is time to flip them and cook a few minutes more.
- Once the pancakes are ready to eat, serve them with maple syrup.
Leave a Reply